Happy New year Friends! We officially have almost survived month one of 2019, how does it feel? Same old, same old here, tinged with a bit of the January Blues!
Yet again I have fallen below the mark, managing a total of 3 out of 15! Hey, ho, at least it’s better than last years 2 out of 15!
As always here is a little “wash up”/list of excuses for why I haven’t done them or a little bit of context for those that I have….
- Apply to join the Royal Navy – Never happened, because I’m a scaredy cat!
- Achieve some professional qualifications – This is one I have achieved, I am currently studying for a Masters in Naval History so that will keep me busy for the next 18 months.
- Get back into Fencing – Still not done this one, I do need to get back into it, but have not found the time, plus it is expensive!
- Get into yoga – this did not happen, I’m not even sure it happened once!
- Run my mile and a half in under 12 minutes – well this was a lovely idea, but in reality, I sporadically went running, when I felt the urge.
- Have a morning routine – I’m not counting this one, as my morning routine is still wake up 15 mins before I need to leave the house then run around like a mad woman until I will most definitely be late for work!
- Be more organised – I guess I am more organised, in that I know what I need to do each day, but I spend most of the time procrastinating from doing it, so this one does not count!
- Be better at keeping in touch with people – This is one I have achieved. I have managed to keep in touch with people more and even brave sending random messages to old acquaintances, to catch up on their lives.
- Read 15 books – I still did not achieve this, I think I read 3 from cover to cover, but I started about 10…
- Learn to do crosswords – I have started doing this, but I still struggle and am going to have to get better before this one can count.
- Publish 1 blog post a week – hahahahahaha… this never happened, let’s see if 2019 is any better!
- Better Twitter Interaction – This didn’t start off very well but it did get better towards the end of the year… long may it continue.
- Instagram – This is one I would say I did achieve, I fell in love with Instagram and use it regularly now.
- Bloglovin – This never happened either, for no other reason than I am lazy.
- Improve my blog photos – I guess they did improve in that I took more, but they still are not where I want them.
So, seen as my current way of doing things is not working I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon and write my 19 for 2019, in the hope that by setting more specific goals, I may actually hit 100%!
VISIT THE GYM 2 X PER WEEK
This is a biggie for me as I desperately want to get fit, but we all know the story it’s much easier to watch Netflix and eat your own body weight in biscuits! This is the year this changes… I’ve signed up to a gym. It’s expensive, but I can go with my boyfriend and even when it was rammed last night it was still a great place to work out, plus it is not as cold as outside! So, twice a week is the aim, then hopefully I might be able to fit back into my wardrobe!
JOIN A FENCING CLUB
I desperately need to get back into my favourite sport, so hopefully, after a few months in the gym, I will have the confidence to don my breaches once more. Oh and a reduction in waist size to make sure I fit in them!
READ 15 BOOKS
Seen as this didn’t work out very well last year I thought I wouldn’t up it, let’s see how I get on this time!
AVERAGE A 2:1 FOR MY MASTERS THIS YEAR
This one might be a long shot, as my first essay was terrible, however, I have partially redeemed myself with my second. So let’s hope I continue this way. Fingers crossed this works out!
USE MY ORGANISER TO MAXIMUM CAPACITY
Every year I buy myself a planner and every year, around March I bail on the idea. However, with a course, gym and an ever busy social calendar to keep up with, I’m going to need one more than ever!
CLEAR OUT 2000 THINGS FROM MY FLAT
It is confirmed I am very much a maximalist and I am fine with that. However, living in a one bed flat in London does not support that lifestyle very freely. So, a change has got to come, this clear out will more than likely be replaced by 2000 new things, but you’ve got to make space for new things! Wish me luck!
LEARN TO DO CROSSWORDS
I love a good crossword and used to help my granddad with the answers, but the time has come where I want to be able to answer one without having to cheat, so this year I am going to really work on honing this skill.
PUBLISH 52 BLOG PHOTOS
I am so useless at this blogging malarky, so rather than committing to one a week or some form of schedule I am just going to post when I get the inspiration and commit to 52 posts.
MAINTAIN INTERACTION ON TWITTER
I’m not sure what happened with Twitter it used to be my go to social media hang out, but somewhere along the lines, I fell out of love with it. This year I’m going to change this and hopefully grow my following along the way.
HIT 200 POSTS ON INSTAGRAM
2018 was the year I fell in love with Instagram, I love taking photos and creating content for this platform and long may it continue. However, my usage is still sporadic so, in an attempt to be better at posting, I want to have hit 200 posts by the end of 2019.
I am terrible at saving, everyday I buy myself a little present and this has to mount up… so this is going to be the year I curtail this down to only buying what I need. I’m a sucker for a sale and there really is no need for it! Hopefully, limiting what is coming in will also help with my clear out. I’m not sure what I will put the money towards yet, but I’m sure I’ll find something I want!
This is something I have wanted to do for a while, having spent my uni days at Brookes gazing at the spires of Oxford, I’d love to spend a day exploring the famous “other one”!
I have always wanted to visit Versailles, last time I went to Paris I never had time. I’ve visited plenty of European palaces inspired by it, but never the real deal. I’d love to see the Hall of Mirrors and the Grand Trianon. Plus it’s the place where a treaty was signed to end the war of all wars!
I’ve never done this and thankfully I’ve never had to use any either, but that most certainly is not the attitude I’d like to take on it. I’d actually for my own self-gratification (as Joey once wisely said “There’s no unselfish good deeds”) in the hope that one day when a family is going through the worst day of their life, I may actually be able to help in some small way.
COOK 1 THING EACH WEEK FROM SCRATCH
As anyone who knows me will tell you I can’t cook, that’s not to say I won’t cook, but more that, everything I do looks like it has been on the BBQ for the last 4 years. As my boyfriend will gleefully tell you I can burn water! So, this year is the year I stop getting distracted when I cook and actually watch what I am doing, once a week.
GO TO AN OPERA
I love musical theatre and the ballet so here’s hoping I love something equally as sophisticated. I’ve always said I’d love to go to the opera. I know I’ll love the glamour, even if I struggle with the storyline!
IF IT TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES DO IT RIGHT AWAY
This is the big one for me, I am forever tied up in single tasking and trying to finish whatever I am working on. That I put off quick and easy tasks as they arrive, then rather than being a quick 5-minute task they end up being a 15-minute task, while I remember what I needed to do!
REACH THE GLORY LAND THAT IS INBOX 0
I want to be the smug bastard who sits there with the smile of an empty inbox, casually spurting out “my inbox is clear”. I know this is not going to happen overnight, but this is definitely something to keep chipping away at.
How did you get on with your 2018 goals? What new ones have you set for 2019?